Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

AudityNewsAudityNews

News

Ofankor Accident Victim Identified As Father Of Six Taking Daughter To Hospital

Ofankor accident victim Mr Kpakpo was among those killed in the crash
Ofankor accident victim Mr Kpakpo was among those killed in the crash

A middle-aged father of six identified as Mr Kpakpo has been named among those who died in Thursday’s fatal multi-vehicle crash at Ofankor Barrier on the Accra-Kumasi Highway.

Mr Kpakpo was reportedly travelling with his daughter in a black commercial Sprinter bus when the crash occurred at about 4:00 a.m. on August 13. His daughter survived but reportedly suffered severe injuries, according to blogger @mr_frimpong22.

The Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) initially confirmed 11 deaths and 13 injuries from the crash involving seven vehicles. Later reports put the death toll at 12, but the identities of the victims have not been officially released.

This story falls under: News

What happened at Ofankor Barrier

The crash occurred between the Ofankor Barrier and the John Teye enclave on the Ofankor-Pokuase stretch, involving 24 people.

Seven vehicles were involved: two tipper trucks, two Sprinter buses, two saloon cars and a tricycle. Rescue teams from the Amasaman Fire Station and GNFS headquarters were deployed to the scene, while injured victims were taken to hospital for treatment.

Mr Kpakpo was reportedly travelling to hospital with his daughter when the Sprinter bus became involved in the collision.

According to @mr_frimpong22, Kpakpo had previously lost his wife and was raising six children. His daughter survived the crash, although the blogger claimed she suffered injuries resulting in the loss of both hands and a leg.

Audity News has not independently verified the extent of those injuries.

The personal account gives a human dimension to a crash that has so far been reported largely through casualty figures and the number of vehicles involved.

As of August 14, authorities had not publicly released the names of the deceased, meaning information circulating on social media about individual victims requires caution until confirmed by an authorised source or the victims’ families.

Goat Damages Ghana Train After Ashaiman Collision

What investigators are looking into

While the exact cause of the crash has not been established, preliminary information has raised questions about a stationary vehicle on the highway.

GNFS Divisional Officer Grade One Emmanuel Bonney said investigations were ongoing and that preliminary information suggested a stationary vehicle may have contributed to the collision. He stressed that this had not yet been established as the definitive cause.

The issue is significant because the Ofankor stretch is a high-speed highway. Bonney warned that vehicles stopping by the roadside to load or offload passengers can create a serious safety risk.

The National Road Safety Authority (NRSA) has also begun looking into the circumstances surrounding the crash and possible measures to reduce recurring accidents at the location.

One line of investigation reported by other outlets concerns a tricycle, commonly known as an aboboyaa, which may have stalled on the road and triggered a sequence of events involving the other vehicles. However, the NRSA has said authorities are awaiting a full police report before confirming how the crash unfolded.

That distinction is important. The stationary vehicle or tricycle theory is currently part of the investigation and should not be presented as the established cause of the deaths.

Toyota Vitz Driver Narrowly Escapes After Container Falls Off Moving Truck Near Junction Mall

The human cost of the crash

For Kpakpo’s family, the tragedy is not only about the loss of one of the 11 people initially confirmed dead.

According to the account circulating online, his daughter survived the crash but was left with life-changing injuries. The claim has not yet been independently verified, but it highlights the possibility of long-term consequences for survivors beyond the initial casualty figures.

The crash has also renewed concerns about safety at the Ofankor Barrier, with the NRSA saying measures will be implemented to address recurring accidents in the area.

Authorities have urged motorists to exercise caution, obey traffic regulations and avoid dangerous practices such as speeding and reckless overtaking.

For now, the confirmed casualty figure from the GNFS remains 11 deaths and 13 injuries, while reports of a 12th death and the identities of individual victims await further official confirmation.

Related Reads

Explore more:


News | Business | Entertainment | Lifestyle | Sports

You May Also Like

News

Former Microfinance and Small Loans Centre (MASLOC) CEO Sedina Tamakloe-Attionu has been released from Nsawam Medium Security Prison despite the Attorney-General’s continuing challenge to...

News

Nigerian comedian Parrot Mouth has reacted strongly after a Nigerian national was arrested in connection with a foiled armed robbery operation targeting three banks...

News

A group of students from Nyansapo Institute has earned widespread praise after developing an innovative drainage technology designed to help tackle one of Ghana’s...

News

The spokesperson for the National Chief Imam, Sheikh Aremeyaw Shaibu, has called for the arrest and prosecution of an unidentified Islamic cleric over preaching...