The alleged ringleader behind the attempted trafficking of about 320 kilogrammes of methamphetamine concealed in a charcoal shipment from Ghana to Australia is a middle-aged woman, the Narcotics Control Commission (NACOC) has revealed. The suspect was arrested following a three-month intelligence-led operation after Australian authorities intercepted the drugs, valued at an estimated A$296 million, before they reached the illicit market.
Deputy Director General of NACOC, Alexander Twum Barimah, disclosed the development in an interview on Accra-based Joy FM on Wednesday, June 24, 2026.
Follow our WhatsApp channel for more interesting and relevant news
The arrest is being seen as a major breakthrough in investigations into one of the largest international drug trafficking cases linked to Ghana in recent years.
NACOC says more arrests are expected
Speaking at NACOC’s annual drug destruction exercise in Accra, Director-General Brigadier General Maxwell Obuba Mantey said investigators worked for months gathering intelligence and conducting surveillance before making the arrest.
He indicated that additional suspects could soon be picked up as efforts continue to dismantle the network behind the operation.
“This afternoon, we will be picking more,” Brig. Gen. Mantey said.
NACOC has not disclosed the identity, nationality, or other personal details of the suspect.
The case originated from a shipment declared as charcoal exported from Ghana but later found to contain approximately 320 kilogrammes of methamphetamine after it was intercepted in Australia.
Asante Berko Conviction: Pressure Mounts for Ghana to Pursue Others
International investigation continues
Australian authorities have already charged three people in connection with the case, including 34-year-old British national Emaa Hussen and an Australian couple. The suspects appeared before the Adelaide Magistrates Court and were remanded into custody until September 2026.
NACOC confirmed the Australian seizure last week and said it had begun collaborating with local security agencies and international partners to identify and arrest all individuals linked to the trafficking operation in Ghana.
Brig. Gen. Mantey warned that no suspect would be spared, regardless of their status or profession.
He stressed that members of the security services would also face investigation if intelligence linked them to the drug network.
The latest development came as NACOC destroyed more than 9.6 tonnes of seized narcotic drugs under a court-approved disposal exercise.
According to the commission, samples of the drugs were tested by the Ghana Standards Authority before and after court authorisation to ensure the integrity of evidence and prevent tampering.
NACOC says it is also intensifying public education campaigns aimed at reducing drug abuse, particularly among young people, while calling on the media to support anti-drug awareness efforts across the country.

