Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

AudityNewsAudityNews

News

Sam George reports elderly man to authorities over murder and hacking allegations

Samuel Nartey George responds to serious allegations made by an elderly protester
Samuel Nartey George responds to serious allegations made by an elderly protester

Communication Minister and Ningo Prampram MP, Samuel Nartey George, has reported an elderly man to the authorities after he accused the minister of surveillance, hacking, attempted murder and involvement in the alleged killing of his brother.

The man made the allegations during a solo protest that was captured on video and circulated online, claiming the incidents occurred in November 2023, when the New Patriotic Party (NPP) was in government, and George was an opposition MP.

This story falls under: News

Follow our WhatsApp channel for more interesting and relevant news

The protester claimed he had been placed under 24-hour surveillance, hacked and subjected to torture and persecution.

He further alleged that an assassination attempt had been made against him and that he reported the matter to the Ghana Police Service under then-Inspector-General of Police George Akuffo Dampare.

Huge relief for MTN fibre broadband users as Sam George announces massive price cut

According to the man, the government at the time was behind the alleged crimes and he accused Dr Dampare and the Police Headquarters of helping to cover them up.

He also alleged that his only brother was killed in an attempt to force him out of Ghana and back to the United States.

There is no independently verified evidence in the material available to Audity News establishing these allegations.

What the protester alleged

The man directly named Mr George during the protest and linked his claims to events he said occurred in November 2023.

Explaining his central allegation, he said:

“He is the individual that has put me under 24/7 surveillance. Total hacking, terrible, torture and persecution against me.”

He then alleged that an assassination had been plotted against him and claimed that his efforts to seek justice ultimately led to the alleged killing of his only brother.

The claims are serious and potentially criminal in nature, but they remain allegations. Audity News has not independently established that Mr George, Dr Dampare or the Ghana Police Service committed any of the acts alleged.

The timing of the claims is also significant.

In November 2023, Mr George was serving as the Ningo-Prampram MP and was in opposition. He was not the Communication Minister he is today. Current records also show that he has represented Ningo-Prampram since 2017.

That political context forms an important part of Mr George’s response, although it does not by itself prove or disprove the protester’s allegations.

Ghana’s Communications Minister Sam George Graduates with Law Degree in UK, Qualifies as Solicitor of England and Wales

Why Sam George has reported him

Mr George has responded to the video by asking the authorities to investigate rather than allowing the allegations to remain a social media controversy.

In his response, he said the protester had accused him of placing him under surveillance and hacking him continuously, as well as ordering the alleged assassination of his brother.

Mr George questioned how he could have exercised state surveillance powers in 2023 when he was not a minister.

“These are grievous allegations with no basis or facts, and they impugn criminal action on my part.”

He said he had therefore lodged a formal complaint and asked the authorities to invite the man to substantiate his claims. His response was also circulated publicly on social media on August 19.

That move potentially changes the nature of the story.

What began as a solo protest and a viral video can now be tested against evidence, provided the authorities take up the complaint and investigate the claims.

Among the questions investigators could seek to establish are whether the alleged surveillance or hacking occurred, whether the protester made a previous police complaint, whether evidence exists concerning his brother’s alleged death and whether anyone can be connected to the alleged incidents.

The separate allegations concerning the police would also require independent verification.

Two Nigerians arrested after alleged Tamale murder linked to suspected cyberfraud proceeds

Social media reaction: investigation or dismissal?

The video has triggered a strikingly divided response online.

A large number of commenters dismissed the allegations and questioned the man’s credibility. Others, however, argued that the seriousness of the claims meant they should be investigated rather than laughed off.

One commenter wrote:

“This is serious allegation. But I’m not sure the man is stable.”

Another took a more cautious approach, saying:

“Why are you guys condemning this man on this serious allegations. Let invite the BNI to investigate and see if there is no truth in what he is saying.”

The political context also became a major talking point.

One commenter asked:

“But which party was in power in 2023? Was Dzata even in charge of anything in Akufo-Addo’s government?”

Another similarly questioned how Mr George could have been involved in an operation allegedly backed by the government when his party was in opposition.

There was also strong support for Mr George’s decision to report the matter.

One user said the allegations could damage the minister’s reputation and urged authorities to establish the facts, while another wrote:

“Please get to the bottom of it. If necessary sue him.”

But perhaps the most notable feature of the online discussion was the amount of speculation about the protester’s mental health.

Several commenters described him as mentally unstable, while others made jokes about his appearance, speech and behaviour. Some even suggested specific psychiatric conditions.

Those claims should not be treated as medical assessments.

A social media video cannot establish whether someone has a mental-health condition, and speculation about a person’s mental state should not be used either to prove or disprove criminal allegations.

The reactions instead demonstrate how quickly a serious allegation can become a contest between competing assumptions online: some users have already concluded that the claims are false, while others believe they deserve investigation.

Neither position amounts to an independent finding of fact.

Police Arrest ‘Teacher Who Works As Driver’ Over UCC Student Innocentia Avinu’s Murder

What happens next

Mr George’s formal complaint could now provide a route for the allegations to be examined through the appropriate authorities.

The central question is whether the protester can provide evidence to support his claims and whether that evidence can be independently corroborated.

Investigators would also need to establish whether any earlier complaint was made to the police, what action was taken if one was made, and whether there is evidence supporting the allegations concerning the man’s brother.

If the allegations cannot be substantiated, Mr George would have a formal record showing that he sought an investigation rather than simply ignoring the claims.

If evidence emerges supporting any part of the allegations, however, that would fundamentally change the story and require further investigation.

For now, the allegations against Mr George, the former IGP and the Ghana Police Service remain unproven.

The most useful next development will therefore not be another round of social media reactions, but evidence from the authorities or the complainant that can establish what, if anything, happened in 2023.

Related Reads

Explore more:

News | Business | Entertainment | Lifestyle | Sports

You May Also Like

News

A middle-aged father of six identified as Mr Kpakpo has been named among those who died in Thursday’s fatal multi-vehicle crash at Ofankor Barrier...

News

Former Microfinance and Small Loans Centre (MASLOC) CEO Sedina Tamakloe-Attionu has been released from Nsawam Medium Security Prison despite the Attorney-General’s continuing challenge to...

News

Nigerian comedian Parrot Mouth has reacted strongly after a Nigerian national was arrested in connection with a foiled armed robbery operation targeting three banks...

News

Ghana and Russia have signed a visa waiver agreement for holders of diplomatic and service passports, 68 years after the two countries established formal...